Sign Up Today! Limited Students and Employment Opportunities Available
Serve it Up! is a culinary exploration program for high school students in Nova Scotia. A partnership between the Nova Scotia Tourism Human Resource Council, Education, and Apprenticeship, the program provides an opportunity for students interested in summer employment, the culinary arts, or in pursuing a career in the culinary trade.
Serve it Up! is available to employers interested in hiring an engaged & trained High School Student in a culinary position for at least 250 hours during the summer (July/August). The program does not just meet an immediate labour need; it also connects employers to future long term employees, provides Red Seal Chefs the opportunity to mentor future employees, and reinforces professional concepts of commitment to quality and transferable skills around safe work practices, team work and communication, customer service and quality.
– Employers must have a Red Seal Chef willing to mentor a high school student
– The establishment must be located in Nova Scotia
– Employers in close proximity to a high school will be preferred to alleviate potential travel challenges for the student
Interested in learning more about hiring a student this summer and shaping a career in the culinary field?
View the Employer Information Package, or contact Nicole LeBlanc at 902.496.7428 or email@example.com.
Students gain hands-on experience through paid employment while working under the guidance of a Red Seal Chef during the summer months (July/August). In preparation for summer employment at a restaurant in their region, students receive basic culinary training in advance of their placement, and will attend a formal interview with a Youth Pathways Consultant and Red Seal Chef in Spring. Students who successfully complete their summer work placement will receive 250 paid hours credited towards pre-apprenticeship and 2.5 Co-operative Education credits.
– Students must currently be enrolled in Grade 10 or 11 at a High School in Nova Scotia
– Willingness and flexibility to work evenings, weekends, or holidays (as requested by your employer) for the months of July and August
– Previous working experience in the culinary workforce is an asset
Step 1: Download and complete the 2020 Student Application
Step 2: Submit the completed application to your supervising teacher for submission